What You Should Do After an Automobile Accident?
First and foremost, if you have been involved in an accident and you or a passenger have been seriously injured, then it is important that you seek medical attention immediately. It is not uncommon for injuries to surface or worsen a few days to several weeks after an accident.
You should always call the police so they can conduct an investigation of the accident. Austin police officers are trained to secure information that will be very helpful to you at a later date, and they will ensure that the other driver cooperates in providing information that is essential for your case.
Finally, while you are still at the accident scene, it is important to make a record of as much information as possible about the accident while everything is still fresh on your mind. For example, secure the names, addresses and telephone numbers of all drivers and passengers involved in the accident and all witnesses. It is also important to write down the following:
- the location of the accident
- how the accident occurred
- the weather conditions at the time of the accident
- whether the other driver was speeding, drunk or inattentive
- whether there was something wrong with his/her vehicle
- whether it was a company vehicle
- whether any vehicles were towed from the scene
- whether medical assistance was provided at the scene
- the police officer’s name and contact information
- whether citations were issued
If you have a camera phone, it is good to take photos of the accident scene and damage to the vehicles. By all means, do not leave the scene without securing contact information for the other driver, including insurance information, license plate number, driver’s license number, and the make and model of the other vehicle.
The attorneys at Briggle & Polan, PLLC have experience representing victims who have suffered severe injuries in a car or truck accident. Contact one of our knowledgeable Austin accident attorneys today at 512.472.1926 to answer your questions.