Finding a good personal injury attorney in Austin, TX can be exhausting. You will find many attorneys out there, and some advertise while others do not. Some lawyers limit their practices to disastrous injuries from medical practices. Lawyers come in all sizes and shapes, and you can find them everywhere. In the case of an injury, finding the right Austin personal injury attorney can pose a challenge. This article will discuss how to choose an attorney who will be your good advocate.
The first thing is finding an attorney you can trust
Confidence is the key between a client and an attorney. There is no need of finding someone you will be second-guessing throughout your case. Do proper research and use your connections to find someone trustworthy. However, there is nothing wrong with hiring an attorney you saw on a billboard or ad. Nevertheless, this should not be the sole basis for finding an attorney.
Despite how you find a lawyer, ensure their ratings are okay. Ensure they are members of their state and local bar association. Some bar associations have referral lists that you can access for free. When you find recommendations and check ratings for potential attorneys, you should narrow down your options to around three candidates. After this, you should make calls and set up appointments.
Some factors to put into considerations
Experience – it is wise to find an attorney who is conversant with personal injury cases. Ensure they do not have a bad reputation of not settling cases. It is important to ensure they will be available for you. Some experienced attorneys may have a significant workload and not give your case the necessary attention.
Credentials – this has nothing to do with how they performed in class. Coming on top of the class or attending Harvard will not matter if the attorney does not have the excellent negotiating skills required to get a high settlement.
Make the first contact
Meeting with a personal injury attorney is a good idea. Reputable attorneys will not charge consultation fees. The first meeting helps you to be acquainted with the lawyer and get a feel if they can handle your case well.
Some of the important questions to prioritize when choosing the right Austin Personal Injury Attorney
- Did they pick your call immediately? If not, it is an indication the attorney might be overwhelmed with many cases, and they might not be right for you.
- Was the receptionist friendly? Ensure they are welcoming.
- Does your attorney have an organized office or a cluttered one? A cluttered office means the attorney is disorganized and they might lose your files.
- Do you feel safe and confident with the attorney?
Ask the attorney the following questions
- They should be board certified in personal injury litigation. Those that are certified means they are experts in that field.
- How often they go to trial. Those who go to trial more often are better.
- What is their caseload? Go for the attorney with a less caseload
- Will they go to trial if they cannot settle? – It’s important to know if the attorney will do everything to protect your interest.
In conclusion, ensure that an attorney will be communicating and keeping you updated during your case