It’s well-documented how severe drunk driving accidents can be. We know that it is one of the most common forms of negligence and results in severe injuries. It helps to recognize just how dangerous drunk driving is and what stats show about these dangers. Below, we will detail some of the more critical stats and ways you can stay safe on the road.
- Roughly 30 people suffer fatal injuries because of drunk driving accidents in the United States.
- Overall, there are more than 10,000 deaths each year in drunk driving crashes.
- BAC levels can often indicate alcohol effects, including:
- 0.02% - some loss of judgment and mood changes
- 0.05% - impaired judgment and alertness reduction
- 0.08% - the legal limit to drive, but there’s a lack of reasoning, self-control, and muscle coordination
- 0.10% - Severe impairment of reaction time and decision-making ability
- 0.15% - Reduced muscle control, loss of balance, nausea, etc.
- In 2018, over 230 children under the age of 14 suffered fatal injuries in drunk driving crashes.
Aside from fatal injuries, drunk driving accidents can result in severe injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, broken bones, and internal organ damage.
Staying Safe on the Road
To stay safe on the road, you should recognize signs of drunk driving. The more indicators you see, the further you should stay away from the driver, and be sure to report them to the local authorities to protect yourself and others.
Some signs of a drunk driver include:
- Erratic braking
- Driving at night without headlights on
- Sudden stops or turns
If you suffer an injury because of someone else’s negligent actions, know that Briggle & Polan, PLLC is here for you. Our Austin car accident attorneys at Briggle & Polan, PLLC work on your behalf. We seek justice and compensation when you need it most.
We’re ready to be your trusted partners. Call our firm today at (512) 400-3278.