Young woman uses her cellphone to make a call after getting into a car accident during the day

What Should I Do If the Police Never Arrive After a Car Accident?

After a car accident, it’s critical you contact the authorities so they can come and make a police report.

However, police officers are often very busy and may not have the opportunity to come and make a report after you get into a collision. If this is the case and you are unable to obtain a police report for your crash at the scene of the accident, here’s what you should do:

You Can Still Make a Report

Even if the police are unavailable to come to the scene of the crash and make an accident report, you still have options to complete one.

If the police don’t show up after your crash, you have the option to go to the nearest police station and request a report.

Under the following conditions, you may submit an accident report after the collision:

  • No injuries are sustained,
  • Any damages incurred do not exceed $1,000, or
  • No fatalities occur.

Collect Information at the Accident Scene

If the authorities do not arrive at the scene of the accident, it is up to you to gather the relevant information from all parties involved. In order to complete the Crash Report form (CR-2), you’ll need to obtain the following information:

  • Place and time of the crash
  • The following information from all drivers involved:
    • Name
    • Address
    • Date of birth
    • Driver’s license information (take a photo if you can)
      • State of license and license number
    • Driver’s license plate number and state
    • Auto insurance information
      • Name and address of the policyholder and the name of the insurance policy
  • A summary of the events as they occurred
  • Weather and road conditions when the accident happened

We Can Help Injured Accident Victims

If you are an injured victim of a car accident due to another’s negligence, you may be owed compensation for your losses. Don’t hesitate to reach out right away with your questions.

Call our firm today at (512) 400-3278 or fill out the online contact form to learn more about your options.