Woman sits on the floor with her head in her arms resting them on the bed with a sad look on her face

Can I Receive Compensation for Emotional Distress Following a Car Wreck?

If you’ve ever been involved in a car accident, or you’ve known someone who has, you likely know the level of emotional anguish that such events can produce.

While the physical injuries from a car accident can be severely painful, the mental devastation of an accident and the physical harm endured as a result can be just as bad, if not worse than the bodily pain and discomfort.

Knowing this, you may question whether it is possible to recover compensation for emotional distress as a result of a car crash.

In short, the answer is maybe.

Recovering Compensation for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident

Psychological harm and other losses that are not easily calculated in a personal injury case are considered punitive damages.

Punitive damages may be available to you if you’ve been injured in a car accident as a result of another’s negligence and you have endured mental anguish as a result. These types of damages are awarded in an effort to punish the wrongful party for their actions and to set an example for others in the future.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to quantify the amount of money that should be awarded for emotional distress after a car accident. This is why having a skilled car accident attorney on your side after a crash can make all the difference in the amount of compensation you are awarded for your losses.

We Want to Help You

If you’ve sustained physical injuries and emotional distress because of someone else’s irresponsible behavior, you deserve justice. Our team has helped many others in similar situations and we are prepared to do what we can to fight for your rights too. Don’t delay—contact our office right away with the details of your case to learn more about the types of damages that may be available to you.

Call our firm today at (512) 400-3278 or fill out the online contact form to learn more about your legal options.